Vada Pav is one of the most popular Street Food of Mumbai. It is a Potato crispy patty served with a bread called Pav.
One of the most popular snacks consumed in Mumbai, be it at the roadside stalls, beaches, homes, and eaten almost at anytime of the day by thousands of people, it has always been the staple food of the everyday workforce.
Mumbai’s favorite street snack Vada Pav recipe
- 5 Potatoes (boiled)
- 1 cup Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Green Chillies (Chiili-garlic paste can also be used)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1+1/4 cup Gram Flour
- 1/4 tsp Soda Bicarbonate
1. Take the gram flour in a bowl. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, soda bicarbonate and mix. Add sufficient water and whip to a smooth and thick batter. Set aside for at least fifteen minutes. Place the boiled potatoes in a bowl.
2. Heat one tablespoon oil in a pan. Add asafoetida, turmeric powder, green chilli-garlic paste and mix. Add potatoes and salt and mix. Set aside to cool. Add coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix mashing the potatoes some more.
3. Divide the mixture into eight equal portions and shape them into balls.
4. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Dip the potato balls in the gram flour batter and deep fry till golden and crisp on the outside. Drain on absorbent paper. Slit each pav, spread some dry garlic chutney, place a vada and press lightly.
5. Serve immediately.